Thursday, March 13, 2008

Resigned

Another land-mark. I have officially resigned as Head of English at college and expressed the desire to work only part time next year. I am pleased about it, and know this is the right decision for me, but just occasionally I get a huge side-swipe of emotion that just makes me cry about it. I've hardly cried about anything to do with ME this year (other ppl's stories and TV drama have been safer vents for my weepy moments) but stuff to do with work ALWAYS sets me off.

I dunno - I don't see myself as "career-mad". I think I only applied for the job in the first place as a way of avoiding being bosssed about by a muppet! Since that rather reluctant start I like to think that I did a good job of managing the team and supporting all those students over the years. I will miss that side of it.

It's not as if I'm losing my job altogether, I can still do good lessons and make resources ... so why does it feel so sad? (thanks to Ann H for "being there" for me on Monday!)

Cancer eats away at your life, inside and out. It has unexpected repercussions and implications.

Some people might wonder why I am making that change anyway. There are two other women at work who have had cancer and kept their HoD jobs going, so why can't I?

I think it is mainly about the prognosis issue. Having a good prognosis would (maybe) feel different, but having a grim prognosis encourages me to make choices. That, and actually: just the luxury of a debt-free existance and a supportive partner means I CAN make this choice. Really it is a privilege to be able to change tempo in your life. Four other ppl in the English Dept have done this over the past ten years without being "ill" to prompt them into it. I no longer want to give 70 hours a week to a job and I am am happy, really, to make the change ..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! good decision! no turning back but just looking ahead! of course it is sad because you have given it 100 and more % but now your life is so different and thi decision reflects that!
have a great time in France and I see you soon!
Lots of love, Kasia xx

Anonymous said...

hey suze... just catching up on your last 3 posts... i've been down with bronchitis for ages (think it is now vanquished) and not reading on the web but just wanted to applaud here both your imagination (of being 79) and on stepping down as head of english -- you've been amazing in your job, a real light, but i think it is altogether a smart decision to put the brakes on the work hours and the pressures and stresses, and live your life with more time and energy for other things you choose to do...

of course, at the same time, it cant help but feel like a loss and be emotional and sad... for it is a threshold being crossed...

i left stressful corporate life to work parttime as a translator 12 years ago now... and i can't say i'm any less busy but new worlds have opened up to me and though i loved my old job, i'd never go back to working in a job at that pace again... aint worth it!

big grin and hug to you...
erĂ­n in montreal... enjoy france!

Anonymous said...

hi auntie susan, its toby here . were just about to go to the carovan agian after 5 mounth's !!! i'm looking foward to it !

see you soon

Toby.T
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan, Joe is helping your Dad to mow the lawn. Tobys gone for his piano lesson,Joes not got any gym tonight so will be picked up later.
Well I think its a good thing you have done giving up full time work,a bit of part time will be fine for you Im sure.
Its been sunny tody but very cold Ive just turned up the heating.
Enjoy your break but take things easy yer not asyoung as yer used ta be.
Well I must progress with some tea making so bye for now lots of love L M xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue & Happy Easter. Yes it is the best decision you could possibly make to cut back on the Work & career. I guess any big milestone brings a few tears & a little reflection, but there is no doubt you have chosen wisely. And you are still keeping your hand in as the saying goes. You are still active by being part time, so you are still involved.

I hope you & Briget have a very happy & peaceful Easter. Have a lovely holiday. Lots of love. Cousin Pauline. xx