Monday, April 09, 2007

Joe's question

What’s the worst thing about having cancer?
This was the question Joe struggled to frame for me as we sat in his caravan this Easter. I wonder if this is a fresh thought for him or whether he has been pondering it for a while. Joe’s sense of empathy is amazingly well developed for a little lad, indeed it always has been, so this question is by no means unusual. These things interest him.

It’s a bit of a flanker as questions go. He made me think and I had to think quickly. In the first instance I’m thinking of an answer that will work for a nine year old and what I come up with is plausible. I tell him that the worst thing was having the operation, having a big hole cut in me that was sore for a long time. This answer works well; it’s concrete, physical and easy for them to relate to. We can quickly move onto other topics.

But it’s not that easily answered a question and it has hovered in my head since. This writing has emerged from Joe’s question and I am reflecting now on the “worst things” about cancer.

I guess everyone has their own idea of what the worst thing is about having cancer, what it would be for THEM if they were faced with it. What are your ideas on this?

I think your answer must depend on the type of cancer you get and the circumstances of your life. Most of the people with bowel cancer whom I’ve met on the IA forum are a lot younger than me, which seems harder immediately. One is a single parent with toddlers, and to my mind, nothing I’ve gone through, or will have to face, can compare to that reality. She has had to continue working through her chemotherapy treatment and keep going with her daily routine with her kids against that inescapable background that her children might be left motherless soon. I doubt that there could be much “worse” than that.

But enough about other people! What about ME? What are the worst things about having cancer from my point of view? I’ve been thinking.

The first revision that I did was one I shared with Joe later the same day. I changed my answer from the operation to “Not being able to play properly with you”. I’ve always played with them in a roughty-toughty way. I have rolled around on the floor with them, chased them about the house and thrown them in the air. In particular we’ve invented our own game called “Swing Café” whereby I role-play a temperamental maitre de and they are clients in my “Café”. We have different types of “push” on the menu which they can choose when they are sitting on their swing.

OK!
It doesn’t sound much, but it is to us; we play it for ages whenever we get together. They might have even out-grown it this year anyway, but Joe knew what I meant by playing properly, “Yeah,” he agrees, “Like Swing Café.”
“Yeah, that’s right Joe, like that.”
And the way that even a simple, sedentary game like guessing which hand I’ve got a coin in has been booby-trapped by chemo-sore veins and their having to treat me like a glass figurine instead of bashing me about the way they usually do. I’m not a natural for the glass figurine job.

Later that day Julie and I were mulling over Joe’s question together. Julie put forward the idea that having your future snatched away from you might be the worst thing. I’m strangely casual about this. I just don’t engage with that idea. Maybe things have got to get much worse before that strikes me as a real thing. I also mostly manage not to be afraid of my own death. I dunno if I can keep this up if things get worse, but NOW I’m cool with it, and only very occasionally get a wave of fear about that (and about things getting worse, pain-wise.)

What CAN upset me on this theme is the thought of other people who really love me being without me…if this cancer carts me off, there will be such gaps for my friends and family. Brigid will be bereft, as I would be if she left me. This thought has the power to chill. Right from the start I’ve been most likely to weep at this, for both Brigid and my nephews. These are the people whom I would most like to protect from “missing me”. It’s a hidden “worst thing” - that realisation that we cannot do everything for the ones we love and some things are far outside of our control.

Losing their aunty is something I don’t want my nephews to experience. Toby and Joe are very good at treating me like a glass figurine; they control their natural bounce very well around me so I feel I’m already watching them from another place. I have sat on the promenade watching them on the beach, play trust games with their dad, wishing that I could stand behind them too and let them drop back into my arms, safe in the knowledge that I’ll always be there.

Ack – you see, none of us know that, do we?

So what’s the point of dwelling on it, any of us?

Rather prefer to think that I’ve seen more of Luke, Toby and Joe in the past eight months than I’d usually see them in two years. Seeing more of EVERYONE has been one of the best things about cancer. Taking time to really enjoy simple pleasures and to do that “living in the now” thing has been an unexpected benefit of being ill.

I’m extremely lucky enough to have the money and the support to be really quite comfortable in my “illness”.

I’m living at a slower speed these days, shrugging off the madness of the pace of modern life. I’ve long thought that the race we usually live in is so far from “civilised” as it is possible to be. How can it be the height of modern progress that people are at work for longer and longer hours and more and more stressed and even unhappy if current news stories are to be believed? Is this all our 21st Century progress has brought us to?

I’m enjoying the opportunity to duck out of all that. To be slow and relaxed and spend time with people who love me.

Here’s a tip:
Don’t wait till you have cancer to review how you spend your time and consider your priorities!

19 comments:

evenstar said...

It can be sad that it takes such things before most of us see the value of life, for me it was losing my brother it made me feel that I have to make sure i live to the fullest for both of us.

Anonymous said...

tis a beautiful post you've given us, Suze. for tis so, tis so, to slow down and find that other pace, the real one, the one where we can value what we love and share it and be with the people we love most intensely, is an incredible opening. tis amazing to be shown that (even when it's a total drag too, having to receive it in such conditions)

and the strangeness of the body itself, that even frail or beset upon it is still fully a body, one's own body, and we relate to others through it... and to time, and to space....

thanks for this post, multumesc!
erín in montreal working on poems

Anonymous said...

I think the "Suzeblogworld Groupies" (of which I am proudly one) have just caught a glimpse of the real you in these last two posts. I like that, and I feel quite humbled reading your words.

One of your "best things" is something I've been thinking a lot about recently. Right now, amidst all of the ups and downs, you have time. Not just to think or reflect upon, but the freedom to spend 'quality' time with the people you're closest to. Right now, you have the chance to choose who you spend your time with and what you do with your time. I see that as a bit of a blessing in disguise. Like you say, amidst all of the chaos, stresses and strains of life, you have the here and now at your fingertips, the ability to really live and breathe the present, and its so nice to hear that that is exactly what you are doing.

I know that it is this spirit in you that will get you and your loved ones through all of the tough times.

Anonymous said...

Well put Susie. There's the head of a nail somewhere that's not only been hit, but knocked unconscious.
Deep peace. scott

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, Yes it is true what you say & the tip is one well worth taking note of. Easter is the time of year for all Christians, Agnostics, Muslins & others + non-believers to reflect on the messages Jesus gave us & what He did for us.

Also a great sage once said that the meaning of life,can be known & realised whilst standing on one leg. I guess he meant, for the duration of keeping your balance, you could recite the most valid points & get your answers to what the meaning of life is all about.
Does anyone know who that sage was?

Anyway, Sue, love to you both & hope you keep cheerful.

Lots of love. Cousin Pauline. xx

suze said...

I think the important thing about standing on one leg would be that you wouldn't be rushing about and would thus have time for thought and reflection.

Anonymous said...

You're right. I'm going to look quite odd conducting the rest of my day on one leg, but here goes...

;o)

Anonymous said...

The one leg thing sounds a bit Zen to me, I will ask some of my Buddhist friends if they know about it.
Your post today was so clear and pure Suze - very moving and strong. I think when Jane died, and between that and the pressures of work, I went down with 'stress-related illness' (which in my case meant I couldnt do much except cry and walk in the woods) I really re-evatuated in the way you describe. That's why I am now living in the woods with no money, in a half finished house, working on my novel and some mad poems!
It gives me a lot of peace to be doing the things I really want to do. It's a good trade to swop affluence for time.
It does make me happy to hear that you have found something v precious in the midst of your illness. Being able to live in the moment is quite a gift.
Do you remember the old anarchist slogan of the Thatcherite years - 'hope and optimism in spite of present difficulties'? It was spray painted across a wooden fence in front of a building site on West St in Sheffield, I used to go past it on the bus every week.
love ever
Liz
(reworking a novel in Hebden Bridge - Hi E!)
x

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that the worst thing is the thought of not being there whilst my kids grow up. I was diagnosed just months before my youngest started school; I would love to be around long enough to become a Grandma! I would also hate to leave my hubby with all the hard work of parenting, as it is definitely a two person job where possible.

Mandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Suze,
Gotta agree totally with your sincere thoughts on the worse things about cancer. I can't wait for the day when I can pick up my niece (aged 9 months) again and walk around the room with her. Like you Suze, my stomach muscles are still recovering from been cut open to get the ruddy awful thing called cancer out.

I mostly cherish spending time with my niece and nephew and appreciating the simple little things that they do on a day to day basis. Seeing the world used to be a big thing for me but now I realise that it's the boring day to day stuff that I really miss from the surreal life I'm having whilst being treated, and, fingers crossed, cured from this cancer thing!

One thing I feel strongly about is that although cancer has brought a lot of upset and stress to those around me, I am keen that it brings out positives too.

Keep smiling and I hope your side effects improve.

L xxx

Kate said...

I'm going to print that off when I get home and stick it up with the rest of my random inspirational stuff.

As I've said to you before, so many people I've worked with with cancer or renal failure or partial paralysis or whatever do just *give up*. When people tell you you're strong or brave or inspirational it's because not everybody *does* cope as well as you.

I'd like to think that one of the best things that has come out of your illness is the deeper bond it's allowed you to form with so many people and the insight into other people's lives that it's given you.

And it's also VERY true that not one of us can say that we'll be there for somebody forever. I hate to use the you-could-get-hit-by-a-bus cliche because I had an ex who actually got hit by a bus *snort*... But it's true; who knows what the future has in store for the health and safety of any of us?

Love you.

xx

Anonymous said...

Nicely put Kate.

Anonymous said...

Reshad Feild says that to 'truly know that this body dies and that this is the only time we have, is the most powerful weapon that we can ever have. With this understanding we can begin to live passionately, not wasting a moment of the precious time that is allocated to us - plunging gratefully into the immediacy of living. And as we know that we are loved, time will be on our side.'
I take this to mean that we don't get MORE time, we just use what is ours in a mindful manner.

Anonymous said...

As I tumbled down Axe Edge in a Peugeot 205, I knew I was about to die.

Time slowed, and an awful sadness filled me. Not a fear for myself, other than a strong wish to be killed outright and not left crippled. Silly of course, any life is precious.

The sadness was not for me. Instead, I felt intense sorrow for everybody I love(d). Remarkably, given how quick a car accident is, I was even able to think of individual people and of and how they would be affected.

Luckily only the car was smashed to pieces. The driver and I survived 'miraculously' uninjured. Incidentally he 'found God' as a result of the experience. I didn't, but somehow ambition and materialism mattered even less to me after that.

I agree with all you have said. Living and loving are ultimately all that matter.


x x x


PS I was among the many trying to leave telephone messages. We'd all been hoping to see you and Brigid this week. Friday + weekend are still free.

Anonymous said...

I agree Mark when we are facing the unknown every thing is in slow motion, all things precious come right to the front of our minds.
Hope you are O K Susan,hope you got your E Mail.
I have done a load of washing today it dried out side but it wasnt sunny.
I did read your big blog, the how would we cope if we faced cancer, myself I would say it was hard to come to terms with knowing you had it.Its allways a sad thing to hear of friends or people we know, but when its your own its a very sad time.I dont think I would have the same strong will power you have I admire you for that.I know all the love of your friends are helping you and I thank them all.
I hope Brigid is feeling better this week, does she go back to work on Monday, give her a big hug from us.
Bye for now L M xxxx

Kate said...

Thanks, Sam ;)

suze said...

Hello folks .. I'm choosing not to respond in detail to each poster in here, but I have foudn great comfort in reading what you have all said .. bless you
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue what beautiful days we are having,no need to think of going abroad,you can just nip down to Lyme.
I havejust filled the seed tube up and changed the birds water,its surprising how mucky it gets.
We took a trip to Weymouth on the bus this morning, we went to look for a TV for the van,and a new phone didnt get either of them.
We watched the Grand national didnt have a bet its not my scene.
Dads watching Dr Who gosh its so noisy,I will probably start making mistakes now.
Mary rang tonight she thought she had finished with chemo but shes now got to have apethadine not sure if thats the right name,anyway shes got to have it for 12 months, so was a bit upset, its a new drug.
We havnt heard from J and Jtheir phone was switched off.
Well I will say Bye for now Lots of love L M xxxx

Anonymous said...

@ Suze

#We are family...#