Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Lots of stuff

Medical News
I've really been a bit more grotty than usual this weekend, and even when I get burst of energy it doesn't last long ... but hopefully I'm picking up a bit today.

Went to see Dr Ohbrai re HRT stuff last night, so progress is being made there .. hurrah.

Dr Adab has agreed that the shrinking violet veins in my hand are not going to stand up to another 7 blasts of chemo .. it has been getting harder and harder for them to insert the cannula for the drip, or even to get a blood sample for my tests .. so I'm going to have a hickman line put into my chest instead. http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=2586

However, because I'm on avastin I may have problems healing up after even minor surgery like this, SO I have to have a break in the avastin treatment before I can have the line put in. I'll have my 6th chemo dose next week as usual, through the hand, then I've been scheduled for the line-op on June 14th. I'll then resume fortnightly chemo.

The idea of a month off is good cos I think it will give me chance to get a bit stonger, but then I think: does it give the cancer crumbs a chance too?

In that gap I'll also have scans ... so that's a bit nerve-wracking in its own way.

.. hey ho .. on the bright side I can plan to spend time with B and family over 1/2 term now. ~~ under previous timescale I'd have been in hospital that week.


The Lounge
I've been really missing my favourite cafe and sadly I have to report that it really is gone for good. We met Sarah last night and she told us the whole sorry story. DAMN Stoke City Council.. they were in dispute about their rates, and instead of negotiationg sensibly the Council have forced the girls out of business. This is a family site, so language is now being severely reined in.
I'm furious.

In contrast to all the tawdry fast food businesses that flourish in our unhealthy city The Lounge was a wonderful haven of good, fresh healthy food, run by two enterprising young women standing on their own two feet with a business that was growing on a daily basis. All trashed. Sarah and Anna haven't just gone on the dole, but they could have done, how rubbish is this?

grrr....

Weekend Plans
In the hope that I will be a bit more chipper by Friday I've booked us another weekend away. Only an hour away from here! In the Peak District, near Matlock .. looks a bit of an odd-ball place .. not sure whether to bill itself as a hotel or a training centre!

BUT it's near to a National Trust place I want to see, it's not a chain hotel, it's got lovely grounds, a cute looking village very close and they give some of the profits to a charity.. got a be worth a look:
http://www.alison-house.co.uk/

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Sue pleased you havebooked another short break,we went to a beautiful little village near Matlock called Tiedswell itsnea that wood craft place we uesed to go to.
Its very wet again today rather be here than at the caravan.
Hope you havea nice time with Mark,I didnt know he was off work.
The blog was long today went to the other sites,I guess the line will be better for you, lets hope so. Bye for now lots of love L M xxxxx

suze said...

hi mum
mark turns out to have a cold this morning, so sadly we had to cancel his visit ..

the YAY news is that I've booked us a cottage in the middle of Lyme for 1/2 term ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue - LOL to you both - see you on Tuesday, Aunty B

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, Well mixed news on blogg. it seems I won't b visiting 2mirra as u r going away. By far the best idea & I hope it proves a restful holiday. I left mess., on u fone 'bowt a visit which won't b till nxt wk earliest now.
Anyway, last wkend was eventful with Laurel & Hardy convention + work. I had a great time on Sunday with all 'the sons'. After the films at Mitch theatre the look alike actors fab.,& so amazingly brill.,names r Simon Baker & Richard Walter as Stan & Babe. The hotel evening meal was great as was the entertainment. I have photos in camera 2 b seen 1 day.
Anyway as promised I found a poem now. Findin a short 1 isn't easy but I found a very short 1 so here goes:

(by Emily Dickson)
They might not need me, but they might.
I'll let my head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
............................
So just 2 say have a gud wkend & keep up your indomitable spirit.

Lots of love. Cousin Poe. xx

Anonymous said...

Have a good weekend girls! The hotel looks suitably individual, and you could always knock off a quick water colour.
I am off to my first exam board meeting in London tomorrow - the year seems to be catching up with me.
Lx

Anonymous said...

The Lounge gone - words fail me

Anonymous said...

The Sea Tree View site looks wonderful, not long now. Enjoy the weekend love Julie

zoe said...

hey ms suze
long long time no speak! you're obviously still a wrong 'un to get banned so speedily ;)
nice blog - i is liking your arty thingz. sorry about you being poorly sick - but glad you're still suze (if ya know what i mean) and are grrrring against it.

i seem to have developed a whole new vocabulary since we last spoke.

much love to you, lady xxx

suze said...

hi zoe - oh yes I am stil very much ME!
and I as "wrong-un" as I've ever been .. *roll eyes*
some ppl are beyond belief for their lack of good sense or integrity!
Total arses, in other words!

I can't say it upsets me to get banned from a place run by someone with such a shallow mind set, making judegements based on ancient history and certainly not anything I did in their site!

hey ho - do you hang out in anymessage boards these days?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely furious on your behalf, suze, shocking and unjustified (I have resigned as administrator but not deleted my actual self). But there are better things to think about - Alison House looks nice, a whole half term together with B even better. Lots of xxx's and a few grrr's.
Anne from Bristol

suze said...

hi there Ann - I'd call them childish if that wasn't an insult to the kids I know! Luckily the overwhelming impression I have of ppl in general is a lot more positive than those sad-cases in there have displayed!

AND - like you say, better things I've booked two more breaks today - secured a lovely cottage in the middle of Lyme for 1/2 term and a return to The Quay @ Deganwy for the weekend before my little operation ...

Anonymous said...

The Quay looks gorgeous. When I am a very, very old lady I shall retire to the Quay and be waited upon with Kir Royales and Darjeeling tea. :)
AnneinBristol

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue the boys came for tea tonight, talking of boys whats happened to Kieron.Just wondered if hed got a job or something.
Just been on I M with Mark hes still got a nasty cold.
Its been blooming cold and wet today we just went on a quick shoping trip to Weymouth didnt hang about got back in time for lunch at home.
Had a healthy tea meat and potato pie ha ha.
Bye for now lots of love L M xxxxxx

suze said...

@ LM - if I can I will tell Keiron you are asking after him -- as far as I know he's still at college, but this a busy time for them, getting ready for their exams, etc ..

@ Anne - retiring tho The Quay would be a very grnd thing to do ..

Anonymous said...

Hope you're enjoying the beautiful Peak District.Finding that browsing thru this site is a refreshing reminder that there is goodness , love and goodwill in this world. Have felt somewhat depressed this week re. news story of missing 3 year old in Portugal and speculations on what may have happened.It's easy to despair of humanity ...but one mustn't.

Anonymous said...

hi suze...id just like to say that i am also outraged at the terrible and highly annoying closing down of the lounge....what d'you think of a petition to the poo heads on the council

im very angry