Monday, July 16, 2007

Llandudno

~ Turned out fine - the hotel was fine - marvellous bay windows with great views and the food was marvellous, but ...... the rooms are very small for the money so we wont STAY there again. ~ Tho we would certainly dine there .. maybe it is a place to replace Churches / 64 for dining out for birthdays etc? .. Mr K are you reading? Go see what you think (and the murals in the Terrace Dining Room are of Lake Como ~ Hilda Ogden eat your heart out!)


We got sun and had a glorious day on Saturday -- we were outside nearly all day: strolled along the Pier, then up the front of the Orme, through the lovely gardens there. Later we sat outside for coffee and after a late lunch we wandered along the beach looking at the British @ Play - it was marvellous .... all in the warm and sunny weather. B actually got burned cos her emergency sun cream wasn't in the car and it took us a while to veer towards a chemist, by which time the damage was done!


I was reminded of the old days when we went there en famille to Llandudno. I told B that we'd sometimes get a picnic and sit on the edge of the Orme there, tucking in .. but I had very clear memories of having to fight off the seagulls there who seem to think they're entitled to a share.


I don't think she was paying me much heed .. but the truth of my observations came later ..


Walking along the prom, I noticed a fellow eating a sandwich and waving his hand about to point things out to his g/f. slightly behind the fellah but in front of us, I saw a seagull ..


I said to B "Look, that gull's eyeing up that guy's sandwich ..."


No sooner were the words out of my mouth than the bird swept up and snatched the sandwich from the guy's mitt. We were all in hysterics.


The guy was quite shocked, of course, cos the bird had swooped in from behind in an ochestrated raid ... but he managed to laugh a bit! The bird just sat there, only a few inches away ... with his stolen sarnie swelling out his neck ~ the way they do when they've swallowed something too big for them.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the hungry gull in question or a google-able alternative?

suze said...

tsk - I didn't take my camera - and its neck was BIGGER than this!

Ruby Mac said...

So glad you had a lovely weekend, sounds as if it did you both the world of good.

Hugs Ruby n Roxy XX

Anonymous said...

LOL.

Did you get to indulge in that DELIGHTFUL hot tub you were telling me about?

Anonymous said...

hi, aren't the seagulls called flying rats or scavengers?! they look quite vicious!
glad you had a good weekend!
all this rain is very depressing..

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good time in Llandudno!

Meanwhile I was down in one of your other haunts this weekend -- cycling from Maiden Newton to Weymouth via Dorchester. The unexpected sunshine left me slightly burnt too, so I have sympathy for B getting caught out in Wales!

Hope you're feeling good after the break xx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you both had a good weekend with light relief c/o the seagulls stealth attack. You know how the 'Services' like to name their weapons of destruction after birds/animals of prey - well I think that a seagull is an effective killing tool and by rights should have a fleet named after them at the very least. I also believe that unlike the forces they dont often kill each other in friendly fire.

Anonymous said...

have at long last talked to John about coming up, therefore can we confirm I will arrive on the Sunday 5th August and leave on the 8th August. Hope thats still ok - if not let me know and I will change it

suze said...

@ ruby - hiya! llandudno in the sun is certainly good or the spirits!

@ sam - the hot tub thing is the next hotel - in a fortnigh's time - tho I won't be going in it really due to infection risks in such places!


@ greg - I still cant quite visualise you on a bike! Are you in GB for a while now? We're not "going away" as such due to treatmetn regime .. so get in touch if you're around!

@ kasia - I think it'e pigeons they call the rats of the sky- but seagulls are cut from the same cloth - you see them hanging about around land-fill - bleugh!

@ Julie - LOL - aye send that idea into the PM - I would! great that you've got soem dates fixed now - yipee ...xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, Glad your weekend went off well.
Hope you are staying cheerful 2day & this week too.

Tess + Felix are booked in vet's t-time for immunise injections. They don't know or else they would hide in the field, no doubt.

Anyway, take care. Lots of love. Cousin Poe. xx

Anonymous said...

Tut! I used to go cycling quite a lot -- I might look porky but I'm not that unfit :-)

I'm back in the UK for good now, and as it happens will be back in Staffs this coming weekend. I'll send you an e-mail -- is the ntlworld address still ok?

suze said...

I never said you were porky *roll eyes* I just enver quite visualise you on a bike --- we're around this w/e -tho I'll be chemo-bleughy, adn ntl addy is still current, and phone numbers too!

Anonymous said...

I was toying with the idea of driving but I'm not brave enough really. It's not the time on the train that drags - more the hours spent on train stations. Still the times you have journeyed down here !!!

Liz Kirby said...

Pleased to hear you had seagull entertainment and an overstuffed hotel room! Or was it an overstuffed S and B?
I am very bogged down with my marking.... and looking forward to seeing you both on Thurs.
Love Liz