Monday, January 09, 2012

Lung Surgery

Saturday, 7th January 2012

Almost five years to the day since my first cancer surgery I was re-admitted for another operation.

This time I have come to The Alexandra Hospital in Manchester for an operation on my left lung.

The reason for coming here was to have access to intensive care, but as it happens I didn't need it.  The surgeon was able to get in and out through key-hole and I came round really quickly and in good spirits.  Before the op Mr S said he would take biopsies of some thickening of the pleura that he had seen on the CT scan, but in the event he didn't do that, he says it all looked very normal.  He has taken out a small tumour from the lower lobe and he was pleased with how it went.  He has taken out wide margins just in case this is a new form of lung cancer and not mets from the bowel cancer.  This will be checked out in Stoke.

My throat was sore initially cos he put a pipe down there but the real gyp is from the chest drain. It didn't hurt at first because he "blocked" the nerves with some local anaesthetic, but once that wore off I really felt it. I am having some controlled drugs to help with that .. but sometimes it really hurts like a hot iron rod pushed through my chest ...  it can make me cry out and sweat ... eek. luckily that only lasts a short while, generally.   Unfortunately the lung is still leaking air so the drain cannot come out yet.

The food here is good, with nice soups they make themselves and a good fresh fruit salad so I feel well nourished .. although a bit anxious about the side-effects of codeine and morphine slowing my gut down ... so I am not eating much at a time.

Physio are on my case about breathing exercises and walking about so I have a timer set to hourly intervals to make sure I stick to the programme ... using their little breathing gadget and pacing up and down the corridor too.


Here I am before the operation, mark on chest to make sure they open up the correct side.



Brigid and Mandy just heard the surgeon say it was all tickety-boo


About 90 minutes after the operation - talking to my mum:

About 2 hours after the operation, the surgeon said eat and drink plenty:

The drain coming out of my back.  The top plaster is covering one of the two little holes he used to do the procedure.


Sunday, on the move with the physio:


Monday's news is that the lung is still leaky so I have got the keep the drain in a bit longer ... so at least one more night in hospital ... but with morphine before bed time, I will probably be able to sleep again, so that's OK! 

1 comment:

Vats Procedure said...

I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable.