Saturday, January 21, 2012

Post-op x-ray

We have just been up to the surgeon for a fresh x-ray and feedback.  Everything is good with the x-ray.  There are no gaps around the edges, the lung has blown up back to its normal place and there is no fluid.

I was treated to an explanation of the high-tech gadget Mr S used to work on my lung.  It is some sort of "gun" ... to judge from the way he wave his arms around, over a foot long!  At the business end of it is some amazing gadgetry that will both cut and staple the lung at the same time.  It fires out three rows of staples at a time.  Each cassette costs 50 quid and he used 4 of these in my 4 inch cut.  Somewhat dearer than a skein of cat gut, eh!

It is finally sinking in that we are past this now ... although I cannot cycle for another couple of weeks,. I feel pretty good ...  the pain is bit tiresome, due to the nerve damage inflicted on my back, though I feel it at the front of my ribs, but I Can Cope.

I dont think this is exactly the kit, but this is an example of a triple row-stapler!

http://www.tristaple.com/acs/?page=Reload


If you google VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery) you get to see quite a lot about what is invololved in this procedure, but I only did that AFTER my op. Before-hand I prefer not to visualise these things in too much detail, it makes it too graphic and harder to shrug off mentally .. for me. I have still never looked at any images related to the bowel surgery.

In fact, the keyhole nature of this VATS makes it enormously less invasive .. and therefore much easier to recover from ... far less pain. I have located a (rather chilling) photo of what it looks like to have your ribs "spread" which is a euphemism cos really they have to break the ribs and push them aside in the traditional open surgery .. I hope I can expunge that memory if there is ever a need to go down that route in the future! The surgeon was up-beat about the fact that he would happily operate on either side of me again if there is recurrence in my lungs. Having a VATS procedure means you get less adhesions, so the re-visit on the same side is more feasible.

If you NEED to see it, this page has a video, although, tbh, I have not looked at it!
http://www.cts.usc.edu/videoassistedthoracoscopicsurgery.html

This link includes a drawing of the traditional access route through "spread" ribs -- again, open only if you really NEED to see this stuff!
http://www.thoracicgroup.com/about_vats.php



No comments: