Thursday, November 01, 2007

cancer in the news

Dina Rabinovitch died this week of breast cancer, aged 44. She was a Guardian journalist who blogged her experiences and wrote in the columns of the paper. There were some extracts in the paper yesterday. It made sad reading ... especially the bit about how her son has stopped asking her if her cancer will get better. How hard that is for mothers to be dying with young children?

In one of the entries she admits to feeling jealous of mums at the school gate who don't have cancer. It's not a proud thing to admit to, and I must say, I know what she means. I have felt that too, at times. You hate yourself for thinking it, but it creeps up on you.

I wonder now about Ann, the woman at hospital whom I made friends with, whose bowel cancer spread already. Sho has had to have chemo for a very long time. If I went to see her now, would she welcome me, or would it be hard to bear?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue Julie just rang up wants me to go to Weymouth theatre on Monday night,its a comedy play, its in aid of breast cancer.Julie was just ringing Merry up to see if she would like to go with us.
I went to Morrisons,Lidol,Aldi and Tesco this morning thought Id shop around for a change not sure if I saved much,because I brought extras but it was different.
I think your friend Ann would be more hurt if you didnt go to see her so dont be put off.
Bye for now love L M xxx

Anonymous said...

I think it would be harder for her to bear if you didn't go to see her, agree with LM on that one.

Anonymous said...

If a friend dropped me from contact I would die a little inside. Friendship has gray within it - joy for each other mixed sometimes with grief for ourselves. There is no black or white in love

Anonymous said...

Mum just to clarify the play is set in a pole dancing excercise (!) class, and it may be a bit colourful - but not too colourful, after all it is the Weymouth Pavilion we are talking about.
Not sure if driving about to save a few pence makes environmental or financial sense.

Anonymous said...

well i dunno - it's not like we were great mates

but we used to chat sometimes in the ward

Anonymous said...

Yes but social contact is made up of both big and small exchanges - it isn't always the size that matters (so I have heard)

Anonymous said...

Julie Im not to worried about the envirement when Im out on the town L M xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello Sue and Brigid, we went to monkey world today signed up for another twelve months. It was very warm and the monkeys were enjoying the sunshine,we really enjoy walking round the grounds especially today because not to many people were there.
Hope you are both O K lots of love L M xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

What about a card then, just letting her know you have not forgotten her, cos you haven't cos she is on your mind!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue not quite as sunny today still warm, and dry.No doubt the fireworks will be going on till late tonight.
Only went to Tesco today to be honest havnt been full of energy, though I did do a nice stew with dumplings, for tea.
Rang you earlier but you were either out or taking a nap.
Bye for now L M xxxxxxx