Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Memories


Getting up Mont Ventoux.
This was a challenge I set myself at some point last winter and I kept to a pretty strict diet and trained for hillclimbing so that I would be able to do this iconic climb this year.
Since my last operation (June 2008) I lost five stone! I climbed hills in the Peak District through the winter 2008-9, and did soem good distances in Scotland at Easter and Ireland in June with my eye on doing serious climbs this summer. I did this Mont Ventoux climb in August 2009.
I went 10 miles up it on the day the Tour went past and a few days later did the whole thing, that's about a mile up in the air (1912 metres above sea level) It is 16.5 miles of cycling uphill, with NO downs and no flat ridges. It took me a little over 2 hours 30 minutes. You cannot imagine how great that felt. There are lots of other cyclists there, but very few of them are women, or my age, or my size … even though I lost a lot of weight I’m still big for a cyclist … so it was a good feeling to be strong enough to do it, and pay a tribute to the good job my doctors did on getting me better!
It's a sad to realise that even as I did this the cancer was already growing again. I do so hope they can patch me up again.
My next goal is to do some climbs in the Pyrenees next summer. I've seen the Tour De France schedule for next year and the final week is in the Pyrenees with a Time Trial at Bordeaux. This is near where our good friends Lili and Bouclette live, so I am hoping to spend the first week of our holidays with them, see the Tour and do some Pyreneean climbs myself .... great plan eh!
This is the professional photo, if you click on it you get the large version.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup - that's the picture, that's how I think of you both :-)

AnneGuppy xx

Anonymous said...

Yes a truly lovely picture. And I'm sure very memorible for you. How happy you both look.
Definately a pic for the album.
Lots of love & good vibes.
From cousin Paulinexxx ok & sleeping beauty here, Craig. x

Anonymous said...

this is a great entry! memories are there to help! You have done great losing all this weight and as you said you were a dream to operate on! it was all worth it!
Main thing is that you have a plan! something to focus on always helps! :-)

Greg P said...

Hi Suze

Just thought I'd drop you another message to let you know I'm still here and reading the blog :)

Your cycling antics sound crazy -- I'd be tired after driving for 2.5 hours let alone cycling ;)

Hope your recovery from the op is going well. I'll be back home in a few weeks and then again around Christmas so maybe we could catch up if you're feeling up to it. It'd be nice to see you.

Greg xx

Anonymous said...

just checking in from Toronto, Suze... on a book tour with the lovely Oana this past week and into next week... and it makes me nod resolutely reading your blog: the balance of serious thought about the secondarie with the powerful memories and images from climbing mountains (oh those triceps you have in that photo, a bodybuilder would be pleased!)and being in resolute top shape. Lean into the wind and pedal, girl! There are ways through this, and you and the marvellous doc will find them, and we are rooting with you... big hug and grin from Toronto!
xo E

suze said...

thanks erin - hope you sell plenty of books!

yes greg, it would be nice to see you - give us a bell when you're around ... xxxxx

Jules said...

Suze.....its Jules from Scotland! I'm in shock.....tears in my eyes my lovely! Keep strong and positive you know you can do it. I have scan on the 4th and starting to get a bit uptight about it and came on here to see how everyone was........... x

Mum said...

Hi,what a blooming awful day,its been pouring down all morning.
It was nice to be able to see you for a few days rather than just speaking on the phone.
I think you have the most wonderful doctors doing everything they can for you. Mrs. Hall,Dr, Adab, and Brigid, are in my opinion the salt of the earth,and I thank them all for taking care of you.
We are so grateful for Auntie Barbara and Cliff, for accommodating us while we were in Stoke.
Hi Kieran nice to know you still read the blog, hope things are going well for you.
Bye for now lots of love to you both L M .xxxxxxxx