Saturday, February 10, 2007

grey weather

grey grey grey
that's my combined weather report and forecast .. dreary innit!

Apart from the weather, I did have a day yesterday where I thought "I feel quite a lot better" .. I am moving well and slightly less sore in general.

I didn't dare go walking yesterday with so much slush and snow around, though we made it to the stoma clinic and had a chat with the nurse. We only had to wait an hour and a half for that, so do we consider ourselves lucky?

There was a Really Unpleasant Other Patient (RUOP) there ... who was terribly rude to a poor old dear who was telling us the various nasty troubles she was having with her bags, and the RUOP told her she hadn't got any sympathy .. jeez! It's too long winded to go into the whole conversation but it certainly didn't enhance the wait to be forced into RUOP's company.

One thing this experience showed me was how much better off you are if you are able to look things up on the internet and get other opinions on what is being done for /to you ... The old dear was not being given the best service, which I could tell from what she said and what I've found out myself in only four weeks of looking into these things. She was three months down the road from her surgery and totally unaware that their might be different options to what she was being given.

My internet pals have been such a great help to me and things are getting better now as a result of their suggestions for alternative approaches to stoma care. I know a little information can be a dangerous thing, but some different points of view to consider are always worth a look in this sort of situation.

Today we are hoping to see James and go for lunch at the Swan at Woore ... mainly cos they do great chips there! Sadly they dont seem to have a web-site, so I can't share it with you ...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hospital care can be so random - areas of excellence in a sea of mediocrity. Being knowledgeable, resourceful and articulate helps the navigation, but sadly it's often not an easy ride.
Hope you all enjoyed the chips.

Anonymous said...

Makes me really sad to hear of stories like this, poor woman... does she have e-mail!!!!
Hope the nurse was helpful to you.

Janx

Anonymous said...

Hi Suze
It does seem grey today. I wish the snow would come back. Hope you enjoy lunch. We're off to Marrakech on Monday. Promise to bring you something colourful back.

Love Matt xx

suze said...

Hi Julie and Jan - (this post has more detail that most ppl will want to know -- ppl without medical intersts or their own stoma please skip to next post!)

My stoma care is under control at the moment, thanks to advice and practical materials I've been sent by internet pals ... my skin is virtually healed and I feel a lot more secure and relaxed with it ...

the poor woman in question at the clinic was quite deaf so it was difficult to get her to understand what I wanted to share with her, PLUS the RUOP has confused her with her bossy "advice"
but she was with her daughter and I worked hard at encouraging the daughter to ASK for better care, in particular -
it seems she has a closed bag and is either getting leaks or just having to change it at least THREE times a day .. !!! an obvious case where a 2-piece would be a major help!

I also told the daughter about the IA website .. and the fact that there are a range of solutions out there that need to be tried ...and that yo might need to ask for!

suze said...

@ Matt and Kasia -- I must admit I'm a bit jealous; some colour from your holiday will be most welcome back here in Grey-On-Trent.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, I understand how you must have felt by that person being so obnoxious to the poor old lady. Sadly not everyone is kind, considerate & helpful. As an ex-nurse I know some NHS staff would have made Hitler proud. Thankfully, a minority. Yes the saying goes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but also none at all is lethal & many people fall through the net & get neglected. I dare not say more than that.
I've just read a book which is an eye opener. A true story THE KID Kevin Lewis. It is a very sad story with a happy ending, as he evercomes his miserible childhood. I will get the book over to you when my mild cough goes. It seems to drag on.
Anyway I'm glad you are improving & sleeping in a bed now.
Keep smiling & be a beacon to all those poor old ladies you may see at the clinic.
Lots of love. Cousin Poe xx

Anonymous said...

p.s. Just read again & noted it was a patient who was nasty. Sounds a bitter person who may resent her plight. Sad old git. Poe x

Anonymous said...

hope lunch was good!

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan and Brigid hope you are both able to get out a bit tomorrow, perhaps the grey skies will have gone and the sun comes out.It was quite warm this morning so went on the bus to Weymouth,just on lunch time it started to rain and was wet most of the afternoon.
We took you know whoes ironing back to get landed with a bit more may squirt it with T C P.
The mystery boys were playing Manopoly with J and J.
Lots of love to both of you L M xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

I have spoken to Mark about us coming to Warwick next week, hopefully we can get together at some point. We have left plans loose to accomodate any last minute issues that may arise. The focus is obviously to meet up with you. But this will depend on your strength on any given day between Sunday and Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan,I was trying to get Mark on the phone this morning without much luck so I rang Glo, she told me that M and Family were on their way to see you,hope you had a nice time together.
It was quite sunny on and off with a few light showers today,we were going to go to Monkey world then we decided to stay in.
Did you watch dancing on ice last night its very good but terribly scarey when the none pros swing the girls round in the air, my heart takes a pounding for their safety.
Im just drinking my tea Dads just made.
Gosh I felt so sorry for the poor old lady at the clinic you dont expect people to be so unkind do you.
Well I will close now lots of love L M xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi suze

Hospital waiting rooms are like a soap opera; poor lady, hope she gets sorted out. Sausages and mashed potatoes for us, special request!

Hope you can get out and about a little next week

A x

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you all had an enjoyable time at Monkey World, funny to think Mum and Dad were toying with the idea of going to our local Monkey World at the same time. Apples never fall far from the tree do they.Plan to see you next Monday then, love Julie

Anonymous said...

apples is it now?

not happy with pillows and snowballs we just NEED another sphere to add to the collection!

We are also looking forward to seeing you on Monday .. will phone you tonight after the conference with Dr Adab.

Anonymous said...

Oh Suzie you know me, I get with an idea and then milk it to death. Yes, if ever a woman was meant to have been a TV programme co-orinator it was I. I have sooo many new and innovative ideas for cooking, beauty, gardening and converting the trash in the attic to treasure that it's a positive crime that I'm confined to being a children's nurse