Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Surgeon Speaks Again

Phew -- it was a bit tense yesterday, waiting to see Mrs Hall again .. as ususal I've not really entertained any ideas of outcomes in this situation, I find it so much easier to BLOCK these really big things from my mind (and put all my anxiety into worrying about sore skin around my stoma!) but still, at some level I knew this was big meeting ....

Mrs Hall was lovely, as ever, and basically said that there was good news and bad news.

The bad news
is that the cancer is quite aggressive and HAD breached my bowel into the ovary that she removed. It had also dropped itself into some fluid in my abdomen, and for these two reasons I will need further chemo to kill off random other cancerous cells that might be lurking around elsewhere in my body. This is what I'd expected anyway, so it didn't shock me.

The good news
is that because the radiation and chemo I've already had were so successful they think it is a cancer that responds well to treatment. She also has reports that the bits of bowel she joined up are totally cancer-free and there were no cancer cells in my lymph nodes on the bowel section that she removed.

The cancer on my ovary is not "ovarian cancer" it was definitely an extension of the original bowel-beastie, and she is pleased that she took both ovaries out because now I cannot get a particular sort of ovarian cancer that can follow on from bowel cancer ...

Treatment plan
We wont know exactly what chemo Dr Adab proposes for me next until I see him nest Tuesday night, so watch this space for further details!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, we have been waiting for the news!
It is a really mix isn't it?!
It is great to see that the good news paragraph is longer than the bad ones!
And like we said last time - let's deal with one thing at the time!
Keep your great strength and power up!
Lots of love xx

Anonymous said...

Hey there.

Well, I may be the somewhat "quiet" blogger these days, but I am still a regular. I've sent you a message via MySpace as I dont appear to be able to locate your email address at the moment. (Long story short, had an account change over at work, and lost some contacts).

Anyways, hope to hear from you really soon. Lots and lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you over here in Ireland. There is plenty of good news there and with your positive attitude to the chemo it will be as succesful as the first batch. I am sure this will be the end of it.

Stay positive. Lots of love to my Sis/Auntie BB

The Passmore Clan in Ireland

Anonymous said...

Your good news sounds encouraging! I'm glad to hear you're able to share Mrs Hall's optimism. With luck you can sail through another lot of chemo and will then be cancer-free for good...

I haven't said much recently but I'm still reading and thinking of you :)

Love

Greg xx

Anonymous said...

Hi suze, just dropped in to see how you are getting on. Your good news is encouraging, your bad news brief and you yourself are as stout-hearted as ever. Good to see you are getting out and hope the snow won't stop you. Happy Birthday to Joe and Toby - I want some of that Chinese!
Best wishes
A x

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan, I rang last night to say good news, we were able to get Mark later to let him know what you had said.
We have been to the dentist today just a check up polished the front teeth both of us, book another appointment for 9 months time.
Barb rang to say how were you this morning before the bloggy went up.
Will speak to you later tonight lots of love to the wonderful Brigid and lots of love to you L M xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue - LOL. We have been following in your footsteps today at Trentham - can't believe how much more it has extended since our last visit. Enjoyed Cafe Davide. Hope to visit you again soon - obviously I'll check first. Love to Brigid. Aunty B xx

suze said...

hi - nice to hear from all you browsers who dont post so often ...
thank-you

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, The news is a mix of good & scary but there is every good reason to believe you will sail through & get the cure you so richly deserve.
I did find a poem in the end, in the Sentinel of all places. To be honest it isn't exactly cheerful but I did remember it from a nurses training lesson, eons of years ago. It feels long 'nuf ago to have been a previous life.

Poem by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple,
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
and I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves and satin sandals,
and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired,
and gooble up samples in shops and press alarm bells, and run my stick along railings,
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.......
____________________________
Well I've got the red fez (not hat)& swopped brandy for whiskey, I nibble samples (not gobble), so I guess I've made a start.

Love to you + B. Cousin Pauline x

suze said...

oh I know that poem, and think that is a cheerful poem, and I think it is a good idea to get going on anything you can do to appear a little rebellious ...

kiwi said...

yay for the good news, that's what everyone can focus on.

(and NO snow in manchester. pah!)

Anonymous said...

Good choice of poem, Cousin Poe. Maybe we all ought to practice a little now? So people who know us are not too shocked and surprised when suddenly we are old and start to wear purple. (Too late for me, perhaps as I'm distinctly lavender already!)

Jean x

suze said...

LOL @ Jean - the shock would be if YOU started to be conservative as you aged! (thinking fondly of your skin-tight leather dress!)

Anonymous said...

Heh. I still have that dress and have fond memories of being able to zip it up, too!

J x

James said...

Love you...

wanting you all better soon.

x

J

suze said...

aw -- James - are you having a sentimental moment dahhhhhhling!? Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow .. weather permitting!