Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bonny Scotland

This lodge is really marvellous - all glass on three sides so you can see the forest all around, the most amazing variety of tress in various shades of green and autumn, it is very beautiful ... there is also a waterfall in the grounds and a beach on the loch that offers fine views of hills in all directions .. so there should be plenty to look at through the lens when I venture outside later!

On Monday I got back on my bike for the first time since my operation. It felt brilliant, especially here in the great glen .. we drove downfour miles to the Caledonian Canal and pedalled in the direction of Fort William. Well I peddled, B was running! We were out for a little over an hour and it was magical, really just so great for me. And pretty easy. My muscles in my legs are still pretty strong, even if my energy levels are low and I didn't push myself in a heart and lungs type of way!

Yesteraday we drove out ot Kinlochleven where there is a lovely climb up, opposite the Pap of Glen Coe. It's part of the Highland Way and I wanted to do it cos it is a bit of serious uphill with no nasty exposed bits! I got more hot and bothered doing that than I did on the bike, but again it felt marvellous to be out in this beautiful place, with so much to delight your senses and using my body in a bit of a push.

I was dog tired last night, and pretty weary today so B has gone off on her bike and I am taking it a bit easier. One step at a time, eh?

I will go for an amble round the 12 acres of woodland that this place puts at our disposal in a little while. Bliss, really and very emotional for me, cos in my dark days I really never thought I'd be here again. All through my illness I have used memories of Scotland as part of my repertoire of mental "tricks" to keep me calm and rested in hard times ... it is just so special to be here and re-charge those images and sensations which have served me so well this past year.

9 comments:

Kate said...

I think it's amazing that so many people, myself included, didn't really know you or didn't even know you at all when this blog started and yet I (and I'm sure most of them) feel like I've been through every step of it with you.

And that's not to take away from what you and B or your family have been through; just to say that the amazing part of this, though your body has been battered and bruised and your emotions and strength have been tested to their limits, is that you've come away from it with some amazing new relationships and having strengthened the ones that were there before you were diagnosed.

It's hard for me, now, to read this blog with what my mum's going through. But I guess I'm going to carry on for the simple reason that, even if her journey isn't as hopeful, I can gain a f*cking lot of inspiration from what *you've* gone through.

And even if she/I/we only have a week or a month or a year to put that into practice, maybe we can make that one of the most passionate, involved, loving and inspiring weeks/months/years of our lives.

In short, maybe neither you or I or other people who read this or who love you would be where they are without this experience. I hope that makes sense in an entirely non-patronising or unfeeling way!

Love you, suzester.

(And that B's alright, too.)

xx

Anonymous said...

Sue got your phone call tried to ring back but not sucsesful.
Had a loveley time with Julie John and the boys, went to Exmouth for a nice meal,then back to the caravan for delicious choc cake and cream.Then pressy time which the boys helped to open.
On the way to the caravan this morning I was really enjoying the journey the autumn leaves were so beautiful
really loveley colours when they do the new roads a lot of thought goes into the planting of the different trees to make suchh nice shades.
this is a bit long so Bye for now L M xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hiya Susan,

sounds like you are in the right place to recuperate from your battles.

I read Dr. Harvey's article, and laughed out loud. Of course he talks a lot of sense, but is starting remission REALLY like getting off a roller coaster? Are you exhilarated and shouting, 'Let's do that again'?

X X X X X

Anonymous said...

Hi Suze,

just came to look you up here as not seen much of you on GB recently.
It looks as tho things are going better for you and I'm so glad about that. :o)
Scotland sounds fabulous! Give my love to the glens and the sheep.
Oh, and re. sheep, I have moved to Cardiff! Would be lovely to meet you at some point, give me a shout should you pass this way.

All the best

Penguin Queen

Anonymous said...

Sue your time in Scotland sounds excellent, don't forget to slip your miner's torch into your pocket for cycling 'just in case'

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, Glad you are having a good time in Scotland. It sounds lovely. Take care & love to you both. Cousin Pauline xx

Anonymous said...

Hi girls just a quicky, it gone very grey and damp here just hoping its better where you are.
Went to Wey. on the bus today but didnt stay to long got back home for lunch.
Toby came for a little while this aft.while John went to Tesco, Joe was at home with Julie.
Bye for now lots of love L M xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

hiya chicken - so let me know when you're coming over to hike the great wall - deep peace - scott

Anonymous said...

Sue pleased you got home O K .Julie and I went to the caravan to close it up till next year.It was foggy on the way home a big TNT wagon tore past us in thick fog and double lines so I rang and told the TNT boss about it because it was dangerous driving.Bye for now L M xxxxxxx