Sunday, October 07, 2007

Results

This week I am reminded of feelings I last had over 25 years ago, that waiting for results thing. It reminds me of waiting to know what sort of degree I'd got, and the fleeting fantasy of a first, and the surge of excitment that went with that notion ... or the alternative gut-wrenching fear of complete failure and the horror of that idea.

Generally these days I try NOT to anticipate things in this way, but waiting for cancer scan results seems to have flipped me back in time to that sort of habit.

Today, telling B I felt his way she said she had no idea what this was like .. apparently she always KNEW what degree class she was going to get. Imagine that! Perhaps that's about the certainty of studying science compared to the unpredictable nature of marking in Arts subjects. Perhaps just a difference in our personalities.

In any case, if you know what I mean, I'm in under-grad action replay at the moment!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Undergraduate

We may well jump up and down and celebrate a first at the end of this week...smile and cheer at a 1:2... raise a grin at a 2:2... and if we have to stay on for a resit... well then we all sit it together... RIGHT.

XXXX

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean... although when it came to exams I worried like mad beforehand but once I put my pen down I stopped fretting because there wasn't anything more I could do about it. Dearly beloved was the other way around, sailed into exam halls, then got more and more nervous as results day approached... and we are both scientists, which scuppers your theory :-)

All will be well, dear heart.

Hugs & kisses from the Big Softie at Sixth Form.

Anonymous said...

The waiting for Degree results is a good analogy but remember that whatever comes out of the good surgeon's mouth on the 12th, you'll be facing it together with B. and you'll cope ( if coping is what's required ) all the better for that.You , me , most of us won't have had the luxury of having a soulmate during Uni years but things are different now for you and together , you'll get thru whatever the circumstances.

Anonymous said...

I love jan's analogy, can't better it at all :-)
anneinbristol xx

suze said...

thanks cathy -- you are so right to emphasise how lucky I am to have B besides me through this