Thursday, October 18, 2007

life in remission

I found a good article on tinternet about this .. if you are VERY interested .. here is the link:
http://www.cctrust.org.uk/article3.htm

If you're too busy to read that, here's part one of the digested read, made personal to me:

Dr Peter Harvey wrote it, he's Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Leeds Teaching Hospital.

He says now the treatment has finished I can begin, bit-by-bit, to deal with all that I have been through and all that is to come. I have had over a year of treatment by radiation knife, chemicals. Now is the time to heal, both body and mind.

He splits the process into three stages: recuperation, convalescence and rehabilitation.

RECUPERATION. One of the paradoxes of cancer is that the treatments made me feel worse, not better! I have been subjected to dangerous rays, had a 12" cut in my abdomen, been disfigured with a stoma, regularly injected with poisonous chemicals, all in the name of treatment.

The aggressiveness and power of the treatments is a reaction to the power of the disease and they placed enormous physical strains on my body. The treatments are harsh and draining. Added to this are the emotional angles - dealing with the implications of my diagnosis (initially I was told it was INOPERABLE!! .... then the fear and emotional stress.)

He reckons that however smoothly treatment went I now need time simply to recharge and recover - to recuperate . This is the necessary foundation on which to build recovery.

CONVALESCENCE
Once I have recharged my batteries, then I can begin to build up my physical and emotional strength. There are no set rules or guidelines for how long this can take, but HE firmly believe that to miss out this stage builds up problems later on.

I'll do REHAB in a later post!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting suze, and I can relate to this. I sincerely believe that missing out on a convalescence stage once the treatment is over, just charging back into work and ordinary life encourages exhaustion and internal anger.

Nurture yourself, appreciate the new you!

anneinbristol-thefingerwagger xx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a man after my own heart. Building up the foundations of strengh to rebuild yourself on sounds like time well spent.
I guess processing all that has happened, and the things that havent happened takes time, motivation and lots of loving support.

Anonymous said...

Have a good time next week, we are going to the caravan on Tuesday for Dads birthday.
Went to Weymouth today on the bus it was nice and warm, it was very frosty this morning.
Lots of love L M bye xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Somehow I feel you are going to be tackling this stage with as much determination and thought as the treatment so far, and it is good to hear it. I am a great believer in giving the mind and body time to deal with things - with rest for the body, or at least a gradual building up again when it is ready, and soul-food for the mind to heal too. You do sound perkier (odd word that but you know what I mean, I hope) though, and that is good. Take care, Christine

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan , glad you've kept your blog going. It's very uplifting to read as you have such a zest for life and really enjoy your friends and family.The message that shine through is that life is for living. Despite often feeling overwhelmed ( and I am currently fit and healthy ) I feel inspired by what I read on this blog. Just turned 40 and wnat , like you , to have decades and decades ahead with loved ones and loved locations. Cathy xx

Anonymous said...

I've thought of you very often the last few days - hope the weather is as beautiful in Scotland as it is here, it's just marvellous. Warm, beautiful yellow autumn sun, amazing. I've been thinking how lovely it is for you both to be in the Great Glen, just being in those beautiful mountains. Take big gulps and taste that scottish air - and feel that you can begin to spread your wings again - have a lovely lovely time and bottle it!
lots of love, Mand x x x