Tuesday, January 23, 2007

daily repertoire

hi folks - well I'm not sure how entertaining this blog can be in the next few weeks as I am pretty well consigned to the four walls. I feel as though there are a few heading cards I can shuffle and lay out in any order that will pretty much "write the essay"

  • number and type of visitors?
  • cards and gifts?
  • bland food?
  • moans about day-time TV
  • slow progress with jigsaw puzzle ( and yes mum, taking care to not squash my scar together!)
  • pain control?
    sleep achieved?
  • B as absolute saint
  • random things (you see these are probably the best bits but cant be guaranteed each day!)


so .. here's the report on yesterday:
visitors: district nurse came to coo over the "lovely" scar; Aunty B came to coo over me; next door neighbour came to call;

cards and gifts - yesterday's best cards were hand made gems from Joe and Toby (as their mum had written on the back From the "No Prizes For Guessing What We Got For Christmas" JOTO Productions Co.

food - quite good, ate a bit of banana with a warm weetabix for brekkie, sipped some freshly squeezed pomegranate and grape juice with no ill-effect and had lentils and rice for tea. B is sprinkling everything with parsley for Vit C !!

TV - didn't really turn it on yesterday!!!! Watched a bit of Shrek 2 in the evening - luvverly stuff!

pain - well it's not agony, but then, I'm taking pain relief every three hours, so that obviously helps!

sleep - yay - this sleeping in the reclining chair business is really working well and I only wake up three or four times a night now, with the rest mostly properly asleep

saint B - what can I say?? ... she is the most loving and assiduous "nurse" and I am, really, lost for words at how brilliant she is being. She's totally emotionally exhausted herself, really, but she keeps going with caring for me

random things .. .. I got my first lot of stoma supplies from a "mobile chemist" called Trent Supplies that my nurse had liaised with for me .. the stuff is got by prescription. So the stuff arrived at the door by post, and I started to wonder how I'd pay the prescription charge ... phoned them up to ask (she was surprised cos most stoma patients don't pay cos you're exempt if it is permenant, but since mine is designated temporary I DO have to pay .. ) anyrate we discussed this and I said I might be getting one of those pre-pay certificates and she just goes, don't worry we'll stand the cost of your first prescription anyway! random acts of kindness in the business world ....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Suze
Came across your blog, can I tell you that even tho your stoma is temp you will NOT need to pay for prescriptions. Get your GP or Stoma nurse to give you an exemption form. I too have a stoma, for 4 years. I wish you well, life will be good

suze said...

Welcome to my blog, anon, and thanks!!! I'll look into that then. My stoma nurse told me the exemption was for permenant patients only .. puzzling..

suze said...

hi - yes as a result of anon's tip I have made further research and am in the process of trying to get an exemption certificate .. it DOES say "permenant" on the NHS prescription website, on the other hand ppl on the stoma-forum in my situation have got docs who signed the form .. as one doc says: you don't KNOW it is temporary until after it is successfully reversed ...I guess so long as you give up the exemption when you lose the condition it is right and proper to get support, esp at the time when I am going to be on lower income. So here is another example of random internet kindness! you never get shock reports of this kind of help and support when the media are running "internet-evil" stories.

ps yes - I did go to Anuja's site and left her a comment!

Anonymous said...

Glad the cards made you smile, when I read your bog out to Toby he said 'oh no, I guess now our cards will be celebrity cards' Celebrity status by association!!
That opinion of seeing temp things as perm till proven otherwise is common. Any way it's not like you'll be selling any over orders down the car boot to fund a lavish lifestyle is it

suze said...

oh Julie -- you are SO disrespectful of my status as Person With Stitches. If you are going to make me laugh so much you REALLY ought to be here with sutures at the ready to repair the damage.

@ jean - hi, saw your email - will reply later - I have to keep my on-line time down (due to severe discomfort on sitting which is relived by lying about more!) I also cant talk very easily on the phone (breathing deeply is also a bit hard at times .. seems to need more effrot to talk in phone than in r/l
xx lots of love

Anonymous said...

Dear Suan,pleased to hear and read how well ypu are progressing,all this positive thinking pay's a good divi;

Your Mum is of to the Dr's for another
check up,and some more medication to help her to get rid of this cough.

We are suffering from gandchildren
starvation,A SERIOUS CONDITION,we havent seen Joe and Toby since going to see the caravan,as your mum is concernd
about passing her cough on to them.
we are of now .
Love to you both Dad and Mumxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying Shrek 2 - Geraldine loves it, especially the bit with the wind!!Hope you've slept well and that post-operative wind is subsiding.Love Clare and Paulxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Well, although your not going out and about your still a busy bee with research and things.

Had an english lesson today....didnt go well, struggling with some things...the work and other stuff so its doin my head in....had another 2 replys in the post...got interviews and London and Bradford :)

Id send you a card, but i dont know where to send it 2, aaa...PING... i can give it to Celia.

Speak to you soon

Kieran

xxx

Anonymous said...

Susan
get better soon so I can plague you with work-related questions.

yrs selfishly
Cathy

PS seriously - enjoy the break - i'll continue plaguing Ann . Your blog is inspiring me to make more time for friends - can't use work as an excuse now I have Fridays off.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, It's cousin Pauline again. Hope you are feeling better with each day that comes. I have searched for a poem for you so I'll sent this as I can't find much else yet. Here goes.

'I am a hunchback'
by Robert Louis Stevenson

I am a hunchback, yellow faced,
A hateful sight to see,
'Tis all that other men can do
To pass & let me be.

I am a woman, my hair is white,
I was a darkhaired lass;
The gin dances in my head,
I stumble as I pass.

I am a man that God made at first,
And teachers tried to harm,
Here! hunchback take my friendly hand,
Good woman, take my arm.
--------------------------------
When your stitches have healed I'll try to find something funny to make you laugh. So here's hoping.
Lots of love. Pauline x

suze said...

@ clare - well it wasn't the farting per se that most entertained me about Shrek 2! hehe, of course I CANT fart anymore, so I feel deprived!


hey Cathy - you can still send me work questions to the work email addy - my brain still needs a few things to do, and I've read today's Grauniad already! PS thanks for the lovely card and flowers that you bought up to the hospital, I really appreciate your kindness.

@ keiran send me an email telling me what you are struggling with (and the up-date in your budding romance with the more mature lady!!!!)
p.s. Can you really afford to live in London??? eek!

@ Cousing Pauline, thanks for that poem, it chimes in well with my moral education from Shrek 2 this week.

xx lots of love
suze