Sunday, January 14, 2007

mental energy

Following advice from Erin I am working on my mental energy and making a tape to play before and after the surgery that sort of tells my body what to do when it is under the scalpel. There is documented evidence of this strategy speeding up recovery times, so it is worth a try ..

In pursuit of ideas on how to make this tape I've found a great site to help:
http://www.womensmindbodyhealth.info/index.html
but I'm sure it's more than a bit ironic when a site like this is supposed to be encouraging positive thoughts starts its "pre-op" section with a detailed list of the things you might be worried about, which actually gives me ideas of things to worry about that I'd not thought of before! e.g.
  • Having surgery is one of life’s most difficult experiences. It is a time of ultimate vulnerability and loss of control, and it brings us face to face with our mortality. In addition, there is fear of pain, the unknown, disability, disfigurement, loss, and embarrassment, all the while in the context of separation from family. This is a huge psychological burden that patients must face, in addition to the difficulties of the medical problem they’re having.

and so on ... hmmm .. I've done some of the facing our own mortality stuff earlier today .. and now I'm onto doing the positive thinking tape -- which has got to be healthier ..

I'm also sitting here feeling very sick, sipping peppermint tea :) pole-axed by Picolax

No comments: