Thursday, November 16, 2006

C+R finish minus 4

Only four more days of radiation to go. The lady at the hospital who is on her last day was terribly sick today and I notice my nausea is increasing .. but otherwise it aint too bad most of the time.

It was great to see Matt and Kasia last night. We only 1/2 watched the footie, it seemed a bit dreary .. but everyone liked my "one-pot-dinner" and Kasia asked for the recipe since it very very easy to do and is the same thing I've been doing visitors for the past few weeks (cos it is easy and you can do it when you feel ill, and can fall asleep while it cooks itself) I'm going to write it out here....

CHICKEN RECIPE
Serves 4 (or three if one of the diners is Andy)

8 - 10 chicken thighs , skinned (best use thigh cos of the bone to add flavour)
8 -10 oz of BROWN rice
1.5 litres of chicken stock (can include a sploosh of red wine here if you like)
2-3 big leeks
1lb fresh tomatoes
tin chopped tomatoes
2 red/yellow peppers
handful of black olives
garlic
bay
thyme
extra salt and pepper (optional)

METHOD
Chuck rice in big roasting tin
Pour on the stock
Wash and slice the leeks, sprinkle the slices over the rice
Chuck in garlic and herbs
Roughly chop tomatoes, olives and peppers, and add these
Space the chicken pieces evenly over the veg
Pour the chopped tomatoes over the meat
Cover with tin foil
Bake for ages (about 2 hours) on gas 5.

It is done when the rice is all cooked and the chicken is loose on its bones.
It ends up like a risotto with very little "sauce" Yum

To add a bit of spice in the past I have done this with chorizo added, but these days I pop chorizo slices on a tray and bake them for a few minutes to serve alongside for ppl who want it. (Too fatty/spicey for me to eat these days)

PS to aunty barbara -- this is a version of recipe I always did when we lived in cov, it is taken from the recipe book you gave me years ago which I have used many times over the years!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue - so glad you got enjoyment from the book - I can't actually remember it now. Cliff says if I buy any more cookery books we will need to get a bigger place. I'm into using the BBC Good Food web site at the moment and you can add favourites to a 'binder'. Chorizo creases me no matter how I use it. Thought for the day - 'A butterfly counts not months but moments and has time enough. Rabindranath Tagore'. Happy thoughts to you and B. Aunty B

suze said...

hi Barbara - what a lovely thought for the day - I will put that on my other blog later.

I'm not surprised that you dont recall the book - it was a Christmas pressie to me when I was a girl, so maybe 35 years ago! I just remember it cos I used it lots, and only recently decided that cookery had moved on from the early 70s and maybe it was time to let it go! The olives and garlic in the version here are probably the "new" bits!

I tend to use Nigel Slater's books a lot these days, he only uses a few ingredients so the recipes are quite simple to do, quick and tasty. I might write up his recipe for roasted beetroot later!

Anonymous said...

hi, yes it was very very tastey so I have printed it now and will try one weekend!
enjoyed the evening and the pudding wine!

suze said...

hi kasia -- it was a good evening, pity we were all so tired! I'm afraid B has introduced you to more sinful ways with that sweet wine! it is one of her favourite little treats. If you go shopping for it, look for Baume de Venise

Anonymous said...

Hope to get the chance to revisit both the chicken and sweet wine next week

Ali said...

hi suze - pleased to hear that you're doing well. will be giving that recipe a try this weekend, which is quite adventurous for me seeing as beans a la toast and oven-charred pommes de terre avec fromage dairylea are my usual!

suze said...

hi julie - I'm looking forward to seeing you next week, too.. your comments on the bunged-beak-bird theme made me laugh -- readers should scroll down to Nov 9th (Dorechester drama) and the comments there to find my dear sister's alternative recipe idea.

I'm slighlty alarmed at Ali putting her faith in my recipe idea -- but really it is terribly easy so maybe you'll be OK, Ali, It's certainly a step up from your usual fare!

@ jean -- you'll regret laughing at my cooking... I'm still missing Keiran .. is he enjoying being your house-boy?
xx

Anonymous said...

i can answer that one, of course i am enjoying it, sure i have to do a few bits of house work here and there....but its the rewards at the end of the day i look forward 2 :P

xxx