Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Douglas Macmillan

Hi - I've just had my visit from my local / community Palliative Care Nurse --- not to be confused with a Macmillan Nurse, which is a service provided by a National Group (mainly in the hospital wards round here) where as our local Douglas Macmillan is something different: a local hospice / charity which send out nurses into the community...
.. .. I never knew there was a difference .. but now I do. She was very kind and I'm pleased to know that there is someone specific to ask about things and also someone who can help me get medication when I am at home. I've added a link to the Douglas Macmillan alongside here now!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How confusing -- I didn't know there was a difference either.

Hello from Erlangen in Germany, by the way! I've been here for a few days. Did you know that Stoke-on-Trent is twinned with Erlangen? Erlangen has a "Stoke-on-Trent Straße" and perhaps I should visit it in homage :-)

suze said...

@ Jean - wow - isnt ebay great? do they do offers, like BOGOF of nurses?

I think in practise the two organisations do very similar stuff - it just happens that our local hospice was one of the first independent hospices and the names are similar to the National Groups - whereas in Dorchester, say, their hospices has a totally different name (related totheir main benefactors) and so there would be no confusion. The main thing ths hospice goes is offer care for people in terminla stages of the disease.

suze said...

@ greg, I am glad to hear you got to Germany safe and sound .. but your mum would never forgive you if you went paying homage to Stoke...

incidentally - my Macmillan Nurse has a son doing Maths and Physics A levels at your old school - so I was quoting you as a successful old boy form there with a glittering academic career based on the same A levels!

Anonymous said...

Your Macmillan nurse's son might know my sister who is also doing her A-levels there -- not in maths and physics, but the 6th form centre is fairly small.

We Staffordians aren't half as anti-Stoke as you think ;-)

suze said...

Hi Greg -- YOU, as a Staffordian, might not be anti-Stoke, but your MUM still hasn't got over you visiting us here on The Abbey ..

funnily enough my nurse expressed surprise at how nice our house is -- I think she may be a pal of your mum's, too!

Anonymous said...

Nurse Connie would like to make it clear that she is not for sale, on ebay or elsewhere. (just drop in a line and you can have her number for free!)