Sunday, October 01, 2006

Mistery Brothers Day 1 and 2

Arrived at last . It took them the best part of 6 hours to get here, yesterday, as it often does, but we all thought it was worth it. The night b4 I had had a dream of them arriving - so I told them how to get here (run onto the lawn and jump on the bench to look in the window then come to the front door to get hugged) ... so they did this and it was exactly like my dream -- and having them here is a dream come true for me... literally and all other ways.

I love these boys so much ---- the thought of not being there to see them grow up and how much they would miss me is the one thing about this cancer business that is guaranteed to bring a tear to my eye. We are CRAZY about each other, even though we only meet up a few times a year, we really have a great relationship and they are brilliant kids .. so I am very keen to still be here for them as they grow up.

Heritage Trail 1 with the kids - firstly impressing on them that Staffordshire is a beautiful rural place by taking them to their lovely BandB in a 17th Farmhouse out by Endon, (see Stokey links) with stunning views in to the Peak District. and then going out for a walk along the canal at Denford and into the Deep Hayes Country Park. We got a bit wet, and of course they're not used to rain, being from Dorrrrssset, but it was great.

You've got to love 8 year olds who appreciate scenery!

We drove home the hilly route to show them where B and I usually cycle about and then we had a big roast tea that Brigid had stayed in to cook for us. She is still poorly with her sore throat... but managed to be "Queen of the Kitchen" all the same.

Heritage Trail 2 with the kids. Today we spent almost the whole day at Gladstone Pottery museum, which they absolutely loved. I also took them to see the oatcake shop down our street and ended the day with another type of cultural advantage we get from living in a city:- the wonders of Al Murshid's foodshop, stuffed with exotic foods and spices...

I feel really pleased to have had this chance to show them some of "what's what" near me and some of the things that inform and enrich my life here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, your day sounds really nice doesnt it. shame you got abit wet but im glad to see it didnt spoil your day.

Me and Charlie and lotti are now in the same class for english, ive had to change because of one of my other stupid lessons :P

gotta go...hamlet is calling

love and wishes

xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz,

Nice blog! It gives a real sense of what's been happening to you over the last few weeks and shows what a great set of fiends & family you and B have. It looks like you're getting looked after pretty well.

I'm a big believer in the power of the mind and human will. You've got a big brain and a lot of passion for life so I think you're one up on the cancer.

I find it a incredible that you're still worrying about your students and working while you're feeling so sick. I wish you'd been my teacher back in the day.

I like your descriptions of the Potteries, it makes me feel nostalgic.

Love to you and Brigid.
Dom xx

suze said...

@ Dom - I thought you got a good A level in English with the teacher you DID have at Fenton in English ? LOL

In point of fact, I'm NOT actually feeling all that sick, either. I was a bit queasy post-chemo - but so far the whole thing has not been very painful at all .. ..so I may as well keep my brain ticking over in a useful way.

suze said...

@ cosmolina -- aye - we all want photos and be assured there are some in the pipeline.
BUT my sis --- who has a documentary (bossy) eye for photo opportunities which would rival your own --- dozily went and left the camera in their B+B tonight. So, I cant access the images for a few days now ... as plans for tomorrow don't include her coming here at all .... unless it rains a lot, I guess.

Anonymous said...

bossy you say - family trait say I