Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Rainy Day

HI -- it is really gray and wet here this morning ..

It was good to see Nurse Connie (aks Liz) again yesterday -- she cheered up my afternoon and then stayed over to travel into work from here this morning ..

I also heard from my mate, Karen last night, and we talked for nearly an hour about her experiences of cancer, three years ago. It was interesting and helpful to chat to someone I already know who has been through these treatments, tho' not for the exact same cancer.

Today I am feeling a bit reclusive; not very social, but OK otherwise ...

Plans

  • tomorrow I have to go to the Infirmary for my radiation "simulation".
  • Friday brings another trip to the Nuffield, just for a blood test
  • Saturday I see Dr Adab again at his clinic ... get my chemo drugs and all explained
  • Monday start the actaul chemo and radiation ..

Metaphor
At this point I bring to mind something my dad taught me 30 years ago --- when I was learning to drive ... we found ourselves in Central London, with me at the wheel (don't ask) and I was getting anxious about the whole "Argh, we're in the middle of London," thing ... ..

Dad said, "You only have to know what the traffic in front and behind is doing, don't worry about anything else" .. and that is a good metaphor for dealing with this treatement, I just have to do each day as it comes; deal with what is immediately "near me" and not get stressed by the general "bigness" of it all ...

I bet he'll be surprised that I've remembered that from way back then, but it was good advice and a tip I've actually used in a number of other difficult situations ever since.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue

I just had to smile reading your quote from Fred - another one "I'm only telling you this because I love you." and he does. I'm also feeling reclusive today - it must be the rain. LOL Barbara

Anonymous said...

Mistery Brothers' father checking in.

Yesterday the Mistery Brothers were helping to run a Maths Cafe at school which we all managed to visit at various times of the day.Somehow Fred and Pauline managed 2 visits - it must have been the home made cakes!!
By the way, what are HTML tags?!
With love and best wishes
xxxx

Anonymous said...

If you were in London from Coventry on a driving lesson I can only assume you were paying to much attention to the car infront and not enough to your location.

suze said...

oooh --- look a family gathering, Hello Aunty Barbara -- and haha, yes no doubt he DOES love us!

It is still raining, tho a bit of brightness has crept in beind the clouds.

@ John - Toby told me all about this Maths cafe yesterday morning - it sounds great.

html tags are so you can change the fonts a bit - like to make them bold or italics - but so far I've never actually made it work when I've tried!

@ Julie -- haha! someone with your navigational skill is on thin ice here with talk of getting lost .. this dates back to when me and dad were going to see universities down South and he did the motorway driving and I did the rest - which included Central London in those days -- pre M25!

Anonymous said...

I remember another piece of advice your Dad gave me, which you passed on to me. 'Never move into a space that is getting narrower!'...... make of that what you will. V happy to see you yest Suze. Have you asked Brigid about the amazing thunder and lightening on the M6 this morning?!

suze said...

@ Liz -- well that was good advice too - as I recall it was about going around obstacles like pedestrains in the road, not trying to nip into the narrowing gap they make -- wonder what on earth promted me to tell you that! My narrowing gap at the moment presents a slightly different challenge!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

hope your feeling more sociable tonight.

sorry i havent been on to leave you comments for a few days. Can you remember months ago when there was the scare of my sister loosing her baby? well she had it yesterday morning. she went in on saturday night with her waters breaking, sunday night came and they decided they hadnt broke, so they kept her in, broke them monday night and then the baby came yesterday morning, so its been abit of a hectic few days but its a healthy boy 6 ouches 1lb i think. They called him Joshua...

Hope ya feel good tomorrow.

All my love

Kieran

xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

P.S Back to school day for the Dougie mac, its being organised by the Fundraising VIP's. we decided on it in our meeting last friday, i think there will be face painting, fun and games all sorts lol....i will let you know more on friday night after our next meeting

Off to write my personal statement

xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was caught in this storm this morning! And I was only to get some fresh bread for breakfast for my mum from our local bakery! The road on the Villas was a total mess!
Anyway,great to see there is still loads of plans and people around to keep you buzzing!
I am feeling slightly tired! Not used to spending so much 'quality time' with my mum! :-)
Take care xx

Anonymous said...

This is bold and this is italic.

Surround the text with < b > and < /b > for bold, or with < i > and < /i > for italic. Remove the extra spaces -- I had to put those in to stop it making my text bold/italic and hiding the HTML :-)

suze said...

@ Kasia -- LOL!

@ Keiron -- oh wow - yes I do remember about your sister and I am so pleased for you - I get so much pleasure from my nephews -- it's FAR easier than being a parent, being an auntie or an uncle ... loads of play-time and then you can go home!

and yes, I am feeling a lot better today - I was pretty grizzly the past two days -- but I feel better today -- still tired, but better.

I am really pleased you VIPs are raising money for the Douglas Macmillan Hospice -- I told my Dougie Mac nurse that you were and she really smiled a 1000 watt smile.

suze said...

@ Greg, Gutenabend nach Deutschland unt vielen Dank....

hmm that's all the German we can do - I feel like asking you for your scores in a kind of Eurovision Song thingy ...

you are such a teacher for someone who isn't a teacher! Have you learnt any German beyond beer ordering yet?

Tschuess xx

Ali said...

hi there - hope you're feeling a little better today.
A great metaphor from your dad - it's kind of weird as it was just the thing i needed to hear today, so thanks.
keep smiling x

Anonymous said...

Ja, ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen -- but not all that much unfortunately!

Gute Besserung! xx