Wednesday, October 04, 2006

radiation plan

I was at the hospital to get measured up for my radiation yesterday and now have dates for that treatment to start on Oct 16th and run for 5 and 1/2 weeks until the end of November.

Mr K proved excellent company for the job -- keeping me entertained as we had a long wait .. (this mainly due to the previous patient being "unable to park" for half an hour! -- this being cos some ppl seem to think they have to park in the hospital grounds and not using the streets nearby and also not leaving enough time -- grrr -- since Mr K and I did both of these we were early and it felt like a double whammy!)

The staff seemed a bit puzzled by a male-mate who wouldn't be classified as husband going in with a female patient.. Obviously quite a novelty, but it added to the fun from our point of view!

Cathy's opinions:

We bumped into Cathy at the hospital - she opined that I looked healthier than anyone at work this week ... I think the ability to delete any work e-mail with "Pro-monitor" or "Register" in the title has curative powers.

Cathy had previously sent me an email saying: I'm there this afternoon - at the fracture unit which is a god-forsaken place , peeling walls , cracked flooring , crumbling Victorian loos and patients just dumped in the corridor on trolleys for hours on end . Still , the technology's impressive and the doctors we've seen so far have been very nice and reassuring.

I can't fault her observational powers, the fracture unit and the X-ray place are very close together! What she didn't mention is the constant high level of clattery clanking noise on the main corridor and the high-level windows so you can't see out.

In fact the radiation bit is a lot nicer than the main corridor of the Royal Infirmary, thankfully, as I'm going to be there everyday when the treatment kicks in.

No comments: